STEAMERS COOKING INSTRUCTIONS:
First, soak clams for 2-3 hours in icewater bath with enough non-iodized salt to taste like seawater. This will encourage clams to expel grit from their bellies. Do not soak for more than 3 hours without changing water.
1. Select a pot large enough to fit all clams inside with at least 3-4 inches remaining at the top to allow space for clams to open.
2. Pour 4 inches of water into the pot and add approximately one tablespoon each of salt, pepper and garlic.
3. Place clams into water and cover pot.
4. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-high, and continue to steam clams for 14 minutes. (reduce heat slightly if water begins to over boil out of top).
5. Move pot off heat and carefully remove clams from water with a slotted spoon. Place into a bowl and serve hot with melted butter and leftover hot clam water to dip and clean clams.